Thursday, April 05, 2007

Chemo Radio Day 1

Today was the first day of chemotherapy and radiation.

We got to the hospital around 9AM and they started an IV of fluids to hydrate me. After about an hour of fluids I got an hour of nausea medication and steriods. The chemo drug I'm taking, Cisplatin, is a platinum based chemotherapy drug that has been around for about 30 years. As it is an older chemo drug, it is notorious for nausea and being hard on the kidneys, so they really want to make sure I have enough fluids when I get the medicine. Finally, I got about two hours of Cisplatin, 170mg in total.

Grace and I had a great time watching the movie Napoleon Dynamite during my treatment. I don't think I've laughed that much in a while. In fact, the other people who were in the room with us were citing the lines by memory and laughing with us. Man, that's a funny movie!

Between watching the movie and talking to Grace, the nurse, and other patients, the time kind of flew by. We met a really nice 35 year-old man named Stuart who has a brain tumor and already finished his radiation treatment. It sounds like a very aggressive cancer, and another tumor returned within a month after surgery. I hope his treatment works!

After about 5.5 hours in the chemo room Grace and I went for a short walk around the block and then downstairs for my radiation treatment, which took about 30 minutes.

At first I didn't feel much of anything other than real tired. As I'm writing this blog I'm feeling so exhausted, and I can't hardly stand up anymore. My body feels drained, but the steriods are making me jittery. So it's a new feeling, and I don't really know how to handle it. Thankfully, I'm not nauseous right now, and I was able to eat and drink a lot today. They say the nausea won't kick in until day 2, and probably will be the worst on day 3. As for radiation, I don't feel much from that yet. They say next week I'll schedule an appointment to have my feeding tube put in.

Prayers
1) Praise the Lord that the day went smoothly with no complications with any of the drugs.
2) Praise the Lord that the chemo treatment was an enjoyable time.
3) Praise the Lord that so far I'm not sick.
4) Please pray that my body will be able to handle the treatments and that I won't get too sick or sore.
5) Please pray that I will be healed completely of cancer through this treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment