Thursday, March 06, 2008

How Firm a Foundation

ANDREW WRITES:

My doctor postponed today's surgery at the last minute. He reviewed last night's scan and noticed that the tumor is actually in both the tongue/floor of mouth and neck. This was not good news.

What we thought would be a relatively simple surgery is going to be a very complex one. We'll need to postpone surgery for about 2 weeks while we put together a game plan to tackle this nasty tumor. In the mean time we'll be busy visiting doctors and praying fervently for healing.

When I first heard the news I was quite disappointed, but after 10 minutes of deep depression what came to mind was that we needed to celebrate. I told Grace that we should go out for lunch to celebrate. She said, "Celebrate what?"

I said, "Celebrate that we have this day together! I'm still alive, aren't I? This is another day that we have together."

So we went out and got lunch with Gayle, Grace's sister and their kids. Right now Grace and I are doing fine but it was a tough day in general battling in the mind to think on what's true. This life is a rollercoaster, but God is a firm foundation, in whom we trust. Keep the emails, phone calls and letters coming because it reminds us that we are not alone.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee thy trials to bless
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace all sufficient shall be thy supply,
The flames shall not hurt thee, I only design
thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

- How Firm A Foundation, hymn author unknown

3 comments:

  1. Your reactions to these new findings are a blessing to me. I will pray for your healing and I am thanking God for His amazing work in the hearts of the servants who must face difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hearts and our prayers are with you Andrew, and your beautiful family. I know that the Lord in near you and loves you for you are his humble servant and beloved child. Thank you for sharing your life and faith with us. We love and miss you, The Coopers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing. You and your family are in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete